|It turned out I looked more like the lovely Conchita Wurst.|
Between that, I've slowly been working on a tailored coat (omg!) and the aforementioned knitting. But this week I got a sudden epiphany about a beloved stash fabric and decided to make a new dress. I'd had this Alexander Henry cotton around for a long time but was a bit lost about what to do with it: the print is amazing but really big so I didn't want to have too many pieces cutting through it, but it did feel like it needed more than just a basic fit-and flare bodice. What's this print of, you say? Oh just MOTHERFUCKING FRIDA KAHLO:
Seriously. This is called 'Frida's Garden' and I love how it combines all these little elements from her paintings in one. That, and some of the colours match the blue ombre I had done to my hair. Woop! As you might be able to tell, I used the bodice of the Flora dress from By Hand London. The humongeous skirt pattern would never work with this narrow quilting cotton, so I just gathered two widths of the fabric. It works better with this directional print ayway, imho!
I Didn't really bother with pattern matching on the front or side seams (just tried to avoid Frida-nipples) But I did make an effort to match the back across the zipper. It doesn't match as perfectly as I'd like, but close enough!
Here's a bit of a close up of the fabric. I really like how it's essentially a drawn impression of her work, but still instantly recognisable. This fabric is a lighter weight than the one I used on my previous Flora dress, and it's very comfortable. I do wear it with a camisole since the neckline gapes a bit and gets very deep very fast... I had the same problem before and handstitching it closed didn't really work, so I resorted to an extra top, which is something I'll often wear underneath my dresses anyway!
I have a few more projects lined up, including an Icelandic sweater I knit for myself, but I'd like to wait with the picturetaking of that one until I finished the one I'm knitting for my boyfriend. Photographing them together would be so much more fun!